1. When you have okra and grits for breakfast, it doesn’t matter what else happens later . . . it’s a great day, by definition.
2. When unstoppable biker meets impassible forest . . . forest wins, always. I’m thinking it really may be time to call it a season.
3. Ryan and I have argued here about the relative merits of the Big East and the Atlantic Coast Conferences (ACC) over the years, so I am curious as to his take on Syracuse’s decision to leave the Big East for the ACC, since he’s a devoted Orange alumnus. While the addition of Syracuse and Pitt moves the ACC ever further away from its Carolina core, I must admit that the idea of two of the greatest college basketball coaches in my lifetime (Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim and Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski) coaching in the same conference is appealing to me. I also hope that this defection by Pitt and Syracuse results in the remaining Big East schools separating smartly into two separate conferences: one comprised of the classic Catholic basketball colleges (e.g. Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, DePaul, etc.) and one composed of the greed-head football mills (e.g. Notre Dame, Cincinnati, UCalhoun, etc.). I would totally root for that Catholic Basketball Conference, and bet dollars to donuts that it would be just as successful as the hyper-hormonal Big East has been for the past decade.
4. Referencing the song “It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” while discussing the dissolution of R.E.M. is a misdemeanor in 17 states, punishable by law with a punch in the throat. I’ll be making citizen’s arrests as necessary if you make that reference in front of me, so be forewarned.
5. Gosh darnit, now I have to reschedule my October!!! Stupid record label! Stupid February!