1. We Want War by These New Puritans (2010, United Kingdom: A lush blend of orchestral and electronic music; I like just about anything with a bassoon in it).
2. The Human Germ by Snog (1998, Australia: One of the most delightfully depressing bands on the planet, but in a good way).
3. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat by Charles Mingus (1959, United States: A jazz masterpiece, even for those who think they don’t like jazz).
4. Waiting Room by Fugazi (1989, United States: A masterpiece of rhythm and energy, a perfect marriage of jittery dub and spazzy call-and-response punk).
5. Litany by Guadalcanal Diary (1987, United States: The best, but now mostly forgotten, live band active in Athens, Georgia when I was down there in the mid-’80s).